It's a kind of cheese.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A selection of dinnertime activities

Usually the bickering, the fidgeting, the in and out of seats, playing with food, etc gets to me. Some days, though, I have more capacity to appreciate the silliness that surrounds me. Today was one of those days. Here is some of what my kids did while I prepared and ate dinner. It is pretty typical stuff and was accompanied by the usual amount of bickering/fidgeting/playing/whining.

M and J planned a party, each inviting 3 friends, for saturday. They each made invitations for their friends.

Apparently, I served pasta kazoos for dinner. M and J performed a series of solos and duets with their penne whistles.

We had a master pretender contest to see who was the best at pretending. M conceded, declaring that she would not ever pretend again, except when her friends were over and they were playing with the doll house. J then found other (pretend) opponents.

Scripture reading became performance art. In an attempt to get them to listen I asked them to raise their hands when I read "my son" and to touch mouth, ear or eyes when they heard words like see/hear/speak etc. Before long they had actions for know/learn, voice, prayer/cry, love, Jesus, truth, night and on and on and on until at least every third word had an action.

Post-scripture reading M did a song and dance number about how much Jesus really loves us while J finally started eating his dinner and I washed dishes.

BB was not feeling well so he just ate dinner, then sat quietly playing with his trains while the rest of us "ate."

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

When is the next Dinner Theater? How much does it cost?

sleepless said...

Oh, thanks for the belly laughs !!! I haven't laughed that much in a long time !!! You "write" beautifully A. Thanks for sharing !!

Abigail said...

Very entertaining! I love the actions to go with the scriptures, I'll have to try that. Currently I pause at random spots and ask a question about what was read, like "who's servant was Zoram?" I was impressed when Maddie answered that correctly, since it had been a few days since we'd read that chapter.

I don't have patience for the fidgeting/bickering, etc that takes place during dinner either. I tend to sit in a different room for that reason.

Shannon said...

That's fantastic!!!!

Nathaniel said...

Truly awesome!!

Paige said...

Get it? "Penne whistles"? Oh, you haven't lost it!